On November 16, 2015, the National Association of REALTORS® board of Directors voted to approve, without objection, the application of the Commercial Overlay Board. However, there is more to the story.
During the first part of 2015 it became apparent that there was a need for a REALTOR® Local Board with a commercial real estate focus.
Not knowing when the NAR might approve our request to form a new Commercial Local Board, and recognizing the need to produce an events, we registered two DBAs with the Oklahoma Secretary of State: the Commercial Real Estate Summit™ and the Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum™
in April 2015, small group organized the SouthWest Real Estate Association as an Oklahoma based non-profit corporation, with the intent of petitioning the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) to create a "Commercial Overlay" Local Board to serve the needs of commercial real estate practitioners in the central Oklahoma area.
Early on, we decided that we wanted to have as our official charity the Real Estate Program at the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) - our first official event in September 2015 was a combination CE Class / Fundraiser / Networking Event with the university, the Town & Gown Breakfast. At the breakfast, students in the UCO Real Estate Program networked with brokers for possible internships or employment opportunities.
The Commercial Real Estate Summit,™ designed to be an annual spring Deal Making Event, jointly produced with the UCO Real Estate Program our First Summit.
The Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum ™ - designed to be an annual fall advocacy / problem solving event. Our first Forum was held November 2016 and the topic was earthquakes.
Chartering of the Central Oklahoma Commercial Association of REALTORS® (COCAR) was on November 16, 2015, by the National Association of REALTORS® Board of Directors at their annual meeting in San Diego, CA.
However, our name was not effective until January 2016, so we registered the trade name (DBA) "COCAR" with the Oklahoma Secretary of State
In the last weeks of December, 2015, OKC introduced an ordinance to create new development impact fees effective January 1, 2017.
- We secured a grant from NAR to review the ordinance
- presented our findings to general contractors and OKC Planning Department.
- During the negotiations, we agreed to produce our second Oklahoma Commercial Real Estate Forum ™
- Topic for forum to be Municipal Funding and scheduled for September 13, 2017.
- Add a quarterly member meeting focusing on Deal Making.
- Needs & Wants Networking & Deal Making Luncheon quarterly events
- During the first part of the events a developer to make a presentation of a significant project.
- During the second part of the event a member or invited guest in an "elevator" type speech of a property they WANT to sell, or a NEED of a client